April's Speaker: Captain Ian Devlin
Capt. Ian Devlin
Captain Devlin is based in Norwalk, CT where he's live his whole live. In the mid-1990s to 2006, he split his time between the tri-state area and southwestern Florida, spending half the year in each location. He currently guides both fly and conventional tackle clients (including some Bair fishing). Over the years he's worked at several fly shops. These include The Compleat Angler, Fisherman's World, Boca Grande Outfitters and Patagonia.
He guides for Striped Bass, Bluefish, Atlantic Bonito, Little Tunny and a few other species at times such as Weakfish, Tautog, Black Sea Bass, and Fluke. He targets other local species such as Atlantic Salmon, Sea-Run Brown Trout, and White Perch. He also finds time to chase the Common Carp, Northern Pike, Largemouth Bass, Smallmouth Bass and others.
He pilots a Lake & Bay 17'6" skiff and a canoe to put his clients on fish. He guides day or night, year round in Connecticut. He's also just started to take people on birding and photography outings this season and states that it is something he'll pursue more in the coming years.
His impressive list of accomplishments follows:
- World record Bluefish on 20lbs tippet 16lbs 13oz caught July 29, 1999
- Co-designed with Steve RaJeff and Mark Sedotti the award-winning G. Loomis ShortStix fly rod series that won ICAST 2015 Best Fly Rod
- Was FFF certified fly casting instructor
- USCG Captain since 1997 (but have been guiding people since 1992)
- Creator of Devlin Blends fly tying materials
- Advisor for lure, boat, fly line and rod brands over the years
- Written and been featured in articles in books and magazines etc.