The Frenchie Nymph is a favorite nymph on competition circuits because it is fast sinking and is often used a the lead fly on a multi fly nymph rig. This pattern provides more flash than the standard pheasant tail. The colors used below are the standard recipe but other combinations are tied. It is tied in sizes 14 to 22. Smaller sizes will, of course, require adjustments in some of the materials specified.
- Hook: standard nymph hook in size 14. Use a competition barbless nymph hook if you have it.
- Bead: 7/16 gold bead, preferably a tungsten bead.
- Wire: lead free .15 wire wrapped on the hook schank for added weight.
- Thread: florescent pink or red. Use non-florescent if that's all you have.
- Tail: stiff long tailing hackle fibers.
- Rib: small gold wire.
- Body: pheasant tail fibers
- Thorax: Pink ice dub, preferably UV ice dub if you have it.
To see a demonstration of this fly being tied go to: